100+ Steps to Better Health
- Walk to work.
- Use fat free milk over whole milk.
- Do sit-ups in front of the TV.
- Walk during lunch hour.
- Drink water before a meal.
- Eat leaner red meat & poultry.
- Eat half your dessert.
- Walk instead of driving whenever you can.
- Take family walk after dinner.
- Skate to work instead of driving.
- Avoid food portions larger than your fist.
- Mow lawn with push mower.
- Increase the fiber in your diet.
- Walk to your place of worship instead of driving.
- Walk kids to school.
- Get a dog and walk it.
- Join an exercise group.
- Drink diet soda.
- Replace Sunday drive with Sunday walk.
- Do yard work.
- Eat off smaller plates.
- Get off a stop early & walk.
- Don't eat late at night.
- Skip seconds.
- Work around the house.
- Skip buffets.
- Grill, steam or bake instead of frying.
- Bicycle to the store instead of driving.
- Take dog to the park.
- Ask your doctor about taking a multi-vitamin.
- Go for a half-hour walk instead of watching TV.
- Use vegetable oils over solid fats.
- More carrots, less cake.
- Fetch the newspaper yourself.
- Sit up straight at work.
- Wash the car by hand.
- Don't skip meals.
- Eat more celery sticks.
- Run when running errands.
- Pace the sidelines at kids' athletic games.
- Take wheels off luggage.
- Choose an activity that fits into your daily life.
- Park further from the store and walk.
- Ask a friend to exercise with you.
- Make time in your day for physical activity.
- Exercise with a video if the weather is bad.
- Bike to the barbershop or beauty salon instead of driving.
- Keep to a regular eating schedule.
- If you find it difficult to be active after work, try it before
- Take a walk or do desk exercises instead of a cigarette or coffee
- Perform gardening or home repair activities.
- Avoid laborsaving devices.
- Take small trips on foot to get your body moving.
- Play with your kids 30 minutes a day.
- Dance to music.
- Keep a pair of comfortable walking or running shoes in your car
- Make a Saturday morning walk a group habit.
- Walk briskly in the mall.
- Choose activities you enjoy & you'll be more likely to stick
- Stretch before bed to give you more energy when you wake.
- Take the long way to the water cooler.
- Explore new physical activities.
- Vary your activities, for interest and to broaden the range of
- Reward and acknowledge your efforts.
- Choose fruit for dessert.
- Consume alcoholic beverages in moderation, if at all.
- Take stairs instead of the escalator.
- Conduct an inventory of your meal/snack and physical activity
- Share an entree with a friend.
- Grill fruits or vegetables.
- Eat before grocery shopping.
- Choose a checkout line without a candy display.
- Make a grocery list before you shop.
- Buy 100% fruit juices over soda and sugary drinks.
- Swim with your kids.
- Flavor foods with herbs, spices, and other low fat seasonings.
- Remove skin from poultry before cooking to lower fat content.
- Eat before you get too hungry.
- Don't skip breakfast.
- Stop eating when you are full.
- Snack on fruits and vegetables.
- Top your favorite cereal with apples or bananas.
- Try brown rice or whole-wheat pasta.
- Include several servings of whole grain food daily.
- When eating out, choose a small or medium portion.
- If main dishes are too big, choose an appetizer or a side dish
- Ask for salad dressing "on the side".
- Don't take seconds.
- Try your burger with just lettuce, tomato and onion.
- Try a green salad instead of fries.
- Bake or broil fish.
- Walk instead of sitting around.
- Eat sweet foods in small amounts.
- Take your dog on longer walks.
- Drink lots of water.
- Cut back on added fats or oils in cooking or spreads.
- Walk the beach instead of sunbathing.
- Walk to a co-worker's desk instead of emailing or calling them.
- Carry your groceries instead of pushing a cart.
- Use a snow shovel instead of a snow blower.
- Cut high-calorie foods like cheese and chocolate into smaller
pieces and only eat a few pieces.
- Use nonfat or low-fat sour cream, mayo, sauces, dressings, and
- Replace sugar sweetened beverages with water and add a twist of
lemon or lime.
- Replace high-saturated fat/high calorie seasonings with herbs
grown in a small herb garden in your kitchen window.
- Refrigerate prepared soups before you eat them. As the soup
cools, the fat will rise to the top. Skim it off the surface for
reduced fat content.
- When eating out, ask your server to put half your entrée
in a to-go bag.
- Substitute vegetables for other ingredients in your sandwich.
- Every time you eat a meal, sit down, chew slowly, and pay
attention to flavors and textures.
- Try a new fruit or vegetable (ever had jicama, plantain, bok
choy, starfruit or papaya?).
- Make up a batch of brownies with applesauce instead of oil or
- Instead of eating out, bring a healthy, low calorie lunch to
- Ask your sweetie to bring you fruit or flowers instead of
- Speak up for the salad bar when your coworkers are picking a
restaurant for lunch, and remember calories count, so pay attention to
how much and what you eat.
- When walking, go up the hills instead of around them.
- Walk briskly through the mall and shop 'til you drop ... pounds.
- Clean your closet and donate clothes that are too big.
- Take your body measurements to gauge progress.
- Buy a set of hand weights and play a round of Simon Says with
your kids - you do it with the weights, they do it without.